openEPRS Project Update

It was over two years ago that I embarked on creating an open source electronic medical record. Today I have decided to discontinue work on openEPRS. This rise of other open source projects such as Medsphere put openEPRS at a competitive disadvantage. The complexity and scope of building an EMR is beyond the capabilities of a single developer. That is not to say definitively that it is impossible. However, by the time a single person could complete such a project, it would be obsolete.

In retrospect, the project was not a complete failure. openEPRS was a great opportunity for learning Ruby on Rails which helped me become a better developer. Now, on to the next challenge!

Please follow and like us:

Plug-ins, Security and Frustration

Really nothing to post on except my increasing level of frustration with Rails security plug-ins and my domain model. This shouldn’t be that difficult given:

  • There are multiple clinical facilities
  • Users can belong to more than one facility
  • Users can have different roles at each facility
  • The application supports an HTML interface as well as a REST API

Continue reading “Plug-ins, Security and Frustration”

Please follow and like us:

The Prodigal Developer Returns to Rails

It has been two days since I posted an article on auditing data modifications using the Zend Framework. I have recently published a number of other articles on Zend in general. I noticed a recurring statement that forced me to rethink the pursuit of using alternative frameworks for openEPRS:

“X is easier with Ruby on Rails than it is with (insert language and/or framework)”

When I started openEPRS in 2007, Ruby on Rails was the chosen platform. I liked it because it was easy to learn, concise and held close DRY development principles. It really is an amazing framework, one that is truly a disruptive platform.
Continue reading “The Prodigal Developer Returns to Rails”

Please follow and like us:

openEPRS: Web Services Console

I decided to spruce up the default page for the openEPRS web services application.  The application is implemented using the Jersey RI for JSR-311 REST Web Services.  While Jersey provides a nice UI for testing your web services, trying to integrate it into the main application was more trouble than it was worth.  Since the framework is still under development, I don’t want to redo all my modifications every time a new version is released.  I still wanted to find some way of displaying what services are available and document how they are used.

Continue reading “openEPRS: Web Services Console”

Please follow and like us: